Thursday, May 28, 2009

Poker Face FAIL!

Last Sunday, May 24, 2009 I joined the monthly Poker Face Tournament of the Metro Card Club Davao. I was able to win a seat for the tournament in one of its satellites. I would like to think I have been improving as a poker player, so I thought I had better chance than when I last joined back in January.

Last Sunday, I picked table 10, seat 4. Among those in my table were young players Mark Esteban and Mike Gempesaw, and foreigners American Chris Teitrich and Dutch Daniel. It was mostly composed of MCCD regulars. It was a tough table since nobody really budged or folded when somebody raised. In other words, matitigas ang ulo.

After one round, Mike had already had a rebuy. LOL! I won two pots with a mid pair, and with a top pair, but those were small pots. :( The biggest pot I won was with a fullhouse in which the chip leader tried to bluff me. HUH! I folded an AJ after a raise, re-raise by the other players. And after three slow but action-packed rounds, there was a break for the add-ons. I didn't rebuy and add-on. Wala lang... LOL!

After the break, around three deals after Round 4 began, I held a pockets A. At 150/300 blinds, I went all in with 6,250 under the gun. Unfortunately, somebody called and got a fullhouse Jacks over tens on the flop. And I was the second one out. FAIL! My mistake, I know. Could have gotten scott free if only I didn't go all in before the flop. STUPEEEED!

The tournament ended late at around 2 am with Korean cash game player Ali taking the big money. Early chip leader JJ Javier bowed out at 7th place, while one of my other mentors Sir Boy Arizola ended up at 3rd place. Tagum's Tyrone Uy was at second place.

So all in all it wasn't a fail. It was a huge success akshully. Save for my monumental tournament fail!!! But I'll get them next time. ;)

7 comments:

  1. Better luck next time, Ria! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mistake there... AA all in preflop is good.. Or are you being sarcastic lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Dulce, saaaad. :(

    @PepeSmith, I could have raised high pre-flop, see the flop JJ10 and folded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had AAs and went all in preflop with 20 big blinds and somebody stupidly called with J10. I would be jumping with joy.

    The end result is not important. You put your money in a huge favorite. AA vs J10? Can't ask for anything more.

    In hindsight, yes, you could have raised and folded. But that's easy to say now knowing his hand was J10. Without hindsight, that would have been a tough fold and a decision you might have regretted more once you get eliminated later on. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a feeling I would get burned if somebody did call. Should have followed my instinct. Bad thing was... the guy who called was an obnoxious one who kept one trash talking me every time we played. PFT! Arrogant SOB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baka may crush sa yo ? LOL

    Approx Pre flop odds : Pocket aces vs. non-pair: Aces are 80% to 86% favorite. Pocket aces vs. suited connectors: Aces are 77% favorite

    ReplyDelete
  7. EW! He's the friend of an ex- "friend." If you get my drift. Anyhow...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails